The Costa Rica Government has announced an easing of restrctions are coming in September, subject to change.
Business leaders and store owners have been asking for changes to the restrictions for months. It appears the government is listening.
- There will be no vehicle restriction on weekends between 5:00 am and 10:00 pm
- The restriction during the week and at night is maintained.
- Pilot plan in the National Stadium with matches of the men's and women's U-20 teams will allow evaluation and analysis for a gradual opening of activities in open spaces.
- As of October 1, bars will be able to increase their maximum capacity from 25% to 50%
- The measures are under permanent review and will remain subject to the evolution of the pandemic in the country.
In order to balance greater economic activities with the prevention of new infections, as of September 1, the daytime vehicle restriction will be eliminated on Saturdays and Sundays, that is, vehicle circulation will not be restricted between 5:00 a.m. and 10:00 pm
The restriction of two plates per day from Monday to Friday and generalized from 10:00 pm will continue.
This decision is made based on analyzes carried out by the University of Costa Rica (UCR) that conclude that the strict application of the protocols, the advance of vaccination as well as the nocturnal sanitary vehicle restriction have a greater impact on reducing contagion levels.
Measures that will be maintained during September.
The Health Minister announced that a series of measures applied for weeks and months will remain in force. Below is the list of these measures:
- Establishments with a health permit to operate, may operate from Monday to Sunday between 5:00 am and 10:00 pm, complying with a 1.8 meter distance, respecting social bubbles, mandatory use of a mask and the application of the specific protocol . The home service is enabled 24 hours a day.
- Hotels with more than 100 rooms will continue with a capacity of 75% of their maximum capacity.
- The capacity of places of worship, academic and business activities, as well as establishments with a sanitary operating permit for artistic activities; in closed spaces they hold a capacity of up to 500 people with a distance of 1.8 meters, respecting social bubbles, mandatory use of a mask and the application of the specific protocol. Likewise, the social events rooms will continue with a capacity of up to 100 people, complying with a distance of 1.8 meters, respecting social bubbles, mandatory use of a mask and the application of the specific protocol.
- The restriction of buses without standing people is maintained. The trains will be able to operate with 26 people standing, according to the INCOFER protocol.
- The beaches will have hours from 5:00 am to 8:00 pm throughout the country.
- Public institutions remain in teleworking mode under the basic operating plan, except for regional offices for customer service and institutions involved in emergency care.